Tuesday, July 2, 2013

IN LAWS

I know you all missed me. I missed you more darlings. So I have been up and about ( I exaggerate) living and loving life and I recently finally met my in-laws. It was not exactly the official meeting where beau introduces me as the wife to be but hey. It was still a very huge deal; especially because I was finally meeting his mum who according to stories had fussed over the girl he would bring home. That he had to be sure she is the one.

To people who know me well, I sometimes have this "I don't care what anyone thinks" attitude but in all honesty, I was very worried what mum-in-law would think. You see...this young man who knocks my socks off is a mummy's boy (he will not be caught dead admitting to this) and I needed the mum to like me.

I have interacted with beau's sister and brother and they both like me (at least that is what I tell myself). I met the dad once but we were not in a position to interact or talk more but I was not very worried about him. Turns out we have a lot in common (according to beau). Let me explain.....again from stories...seems daddy-in-law enjoys reading the same kind of books I am into. I love memoirs and I bought this book called A long way gone by Ishmael Bear. He talks about his life as a child soldier. I gave the book to my baby and his dad happened to read it....he loved it. That is just one example of what we have in common with daddy-in-law. It would be a great conversation starter if you ask me.

I am not a politics junkie but I have opinions once in a while and a few times I have voiced those opinions to beau and funny thing is; he says the dad shares similar sentiments on those particular issues. Second great conversation starter ;-).

Having never been told anything I have in common with mum-in-law....you can imagine my worry and fear that we might not click. He always told me not to worry because mum would love me but hey. So on his big day, graduating from his engineering class...I met the mum.

I could see her smile as soon as she spotted me. She said hey to me like we'd known each other all our lives. I am almost certain that the relief on my face was palpable. I know she had seen pictures of me on his phone but....She said that she would have recognized me anywhere if she ever saw me.

She was warm, and bubbly and talkative, just like someone I know all so well. I felt at home and friends to the family also played a role into welcoming me to the family. I am not sure if it is too soon to say I have a new family, one that is full of life and love. They love to laugh...and I love laughing so...that must be like ten points to the whole experience. I think....wait....I hope it will only get better from here.


Maybe one day I will officially be part of this beautiful family. Or maybe me voicing all these 'feelings' about being accepted was too soon?? I guess we will just have to wait and see.

The Njoroge's.

No comments: